sexta-feira, 17 de março de 2017

PopCorn Corner: One Day at a Time (2017) - Season 1

One Day at a Time (2017) - Season 1
Created by Gloria Calderon Kellet & Mike Royce
Episodes: 13
Runtime: 30 min.
Genre: Comedy



Follows three generations of the same Cuban-American family living in the same house: a newly divorced former military mother, her teenage daughter and tween son, and her old-school mother.







I started watching ODaaT in a whim because I was craving some comedy and all my regular tv-shows are on hiatus and I'm so glad I did it! This show won me over right in the first episode with it's wonderful cast and the presence of diverse and important themes being discussed on each episode.

What makes this show stands out among all the other comedies out there is it's fearless disposition to discuss openly about controversial themes, while still making me laugh. The fact that the family is of Cuban origin but already lives in the USA for a while comes into the picture a lot, it shows the struggles of new comers with the stories of Abuelita, and the mixed heritage with Penelope and her kids, having being born in the USA but still identifying with a lot of Cuban traditions. I do have to say that I didn't particularly enjoyed the way the Cuban Revolution was presented here, I'm not Cuban so I can't begin to fathom what was for those who lived there and the impact it still has in the lives of Cuban people, not only those who live there but also those who can't come back to their home country, but I think that this being a American made tv-show and having such a firm position of being against it just leaves a bad taste on my month.

Still, there are a lot of great things to like about it, it brings a lot of everyday discussions to the table, like sexuality, feminism, religion, Penelope's character arc is being really well done, she has to deal with a separation and coming back to normal life after having worked in the Army, I loved the way it dealt with therapy and medication. Actually all of these topics were handled in a extremely good way, we have Abuelita that usually stands for the older and more traditional form of views and the newest generations often fighting about their beliefs, and despite they having different opinions a lot of times the show manages to show how both sides have their reasoning and the family always works to stay together and come to a consensus.

In case you didn't noticed yet, I love this show and I can't wait for the second season next year, it has a great cast with a chemistry that resembles of a real family, some great laughs and important discussions that are relevant not only to Cuban-Americans but to everyone.

Verdict: 7 out of 10 stars

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário