quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2017

Reading Diary | December 2016

This will be an update of all the books that I read on December of 2016, with links to reviews already posted on the blog or a small impression on the story.

December was yet another weird reading month I didn't finished anything until the middle of the month and them only finished another books from Christmas on, still I managed to read 6 books, 1 graphic novel and 1 novella.

Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum
Published on April 5, 2016 by Delacorte Press


This book was so cute but it's also heartbreaking and I cried multiple times. Buxbaum's writing is amazing in its simplicity, managing to put feelings so hard to describe into words, there was so many quote-worthy sentences. This story made me cry while also managing to make me laugh, it's about grief and first love, so you can guess it's pretty bittersweet and sometimes it can be hard to read, but other times it was squell worthy cute, the romance is sweet and a sort of friend to love kind of thing, also already having met some of the best people in my life through the internet I always enjoy reading about people getting to know each other via e-mail/IM first and them meeting. The only thing that I think it was overdone was the whole mean girls thing, it was never really properly addressed imo, it was just treated as something it happens in high school and you have to move on, [also it took Jess so much time to even starting considering Ethan as SN and it was totally obvious since the first time he appeared that it was him, I mean, I know this was a big plot point to the story so I guess, I know why it took so long, but she could have at least thought of him sooner. (hide spoiler)]

One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva
Published on May 27, 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

I enjoyed this one but didn't loved it as much as everyone else, which makes me a bit sad. I think that this was funny and I laughed a lot of moments; I also really liked the introduction of Armenians culture into the story, I don't think I ever had read a book that focused on this culture so it was good to read about something new to me.

My favorite parts of the story were the ones with the family and friends, there was a lot of heartwarming moments and I just loved it. But a big part of this story centers around the romance, and in a way I liked it  because it was a push for the main character to grow up and figure out which parts he wanted to keep from his culture and which are his own things, but also I feel like a lot of the romance was just teenager wish fulfillment and a bit MPDB, idk I didn't shipped so meh.

Game On by Michelle Smith
Series: Lewis Creek #2 
Published on August 16, 2016 by Bloomsbury Spark


• These books always give me a need to re-watch One Tree Hill, because of the whole sports affictionated town thing just switch basketball to baseball. And despite I don't knowing shit about baseball I love the whole team spirit, even thought it was played down this time for plot reasons but we get more of Coach and I love him so so so much.

• From the title and covers (why, oh why the covers don't match) I always think I'm getting something lighter than these books actually are, but they always end up dealing with import YA stuff that isn't always nice and clean cut.

• I loved to read about Bri's story, I don't think I had ever read about an abusive relationship and especially about someone overcoming it and her character arc was everything I could hope for, it was amazing and it made me tear up at times but also it was so heat warming to see her growing and not taking anymore shit, you go girl!

• Eric's POVs were a bit harder for me mostly because I didn't get his character, he acts out a lot and does shit just because... I didn't get a lot of his actions, and because of that I couldn't connect with him as much.

• The romance was sweet and a slow burn that had me so happy when they finally got together, it was perfectly done in my opinion and this can be trick since Bri was getting out of such a bad relationship, but no, it was done really well, no love saves us all and other cliches.

• The story did had a bit more angst and drama than I was hopping for.

Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch
Published on May 3, 2016 by Simon Pulse


• This one was as sweet & cute as the cover and title makes you think it will be
• which wasn't exactly what I was expecting since it is a grieving book, but I never actually got that gut wrenching feeling and I was a bit let down by it, I don't care if it makes me crazy but I think a book dealing with grief should make me feel things more strongly
• that is not to say this book didn't made me feel things, it was just much more on the lighter side
• it made me laugh, which is always a win
• the wanderlust and THE FOODS
• there was some pretty strong father/daughter feelings too
• but I wish the characters had been more fleshed out, the secondary characters had zero personalities and the main ones didn't had that out of the page life that makes me love them
• also, the plot only exists because of misunderstandings and miscommunication, like seriously, if these characters had only sit down and openly talked about important stuff we wouldn't have a book
• but all this confusion did made a pretty good mystery of what-the-hell-is-happening that made me turn the pages super fast because I needed to know if my theories were correct
• they were
• the romance was more on the cute and instalove-y side of things, since this book passes only through a week and they are already super in love when it ends, but I can be benevolent about it because it was a first love story and with everything that went down in this story it was believable
• I just wish we had skipped the whole love quadrangle sort of thing going on, it was pretty clear who the ship was but for some reason there was these other people that barely had any scenes in the story, so I don't know why they were even there except to make the couple only get together by the end and they had like 0 personalities, annoying
• overall a quick and fun read, it wasn't a favorite because it lacked more FEELS for me but I def recommend if you want a cute contemporary set in Italy, about first loves and family

Take the Key and Lock Her Up by Ally Carter
Series: Embassy Row #3
Published on December 26, 2016 by Scholastic Press


• Well, this one was just as cray-cray as the rest of this series, perhaps more

• the villain was so goooooood, at first I was in doubt (because when are you sure of anything in this series), but things fit together towards the middle and it was insane, literally
• there is so many insane people in this story omg
• also, don't expect a good representation on mental illness from this series
• I'm a bit torn with the ending the villain had, it crept the hell out of me and I mean, they did the same thing they condone her doing
• so, lots of grey areas
• which I guess makes things better, because who likes clean cut characters
• the squad is still golden and the ship is to the max
• it was just as fast paced as the other books in this series
• I do recommend re-reading the other two if your brain is a bad in remembering books as mine
• thought I did remembered the main facts and characters
• def recommend to lovers of books like The Fixer

One Good Dragon Deserves Another by Rachel Aaron
Series: Heartstrikers #2 
Published on August 1, 2015 by Aaron/Bach, LLC

I also read the novella Mother of the Year, which was okay and added a bit more about the whole dragon empire that is the Heartstrikers, but it was really short.

This series is one of those rare that gets better at each book, this one has the best plot of the series so far and oh my god, is it good, even thought it was a re-read I didn't remembered most of the details so it was like I was reading it for the first time again and omg, the plot twists and the stakes are so high and seriously, I can't. Just read this series pretty please.





I also read a graphic novel, Black Widow volume #2 which was very graphic, very low on the plot and fun as always.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário