quinta-feira, 25 de agosto de 2016

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux #1
Published on May 8, 2012 by Entangled Teen

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

When it was first released, back in 2012 this one got all the rave reviews about how it was new take in Twilight, but done better. Well, at that time I probably didn't even knew what a book blog was so it took me quite a few years to catch up and last year I finally read this, I have to say that it was overall enjoyable despite the problems that I had with it although I still think it would have worked so much better if I had discovered this one in 2012.

The Twilight reference is pretty on point, at least for the first half or so of this story we have a lot of parallels with it - Katy is the new girl in school, that is drawn by this group of people that is super hot and stays apart from the rest of the school, Dee is basically Alice and Daemon is Edward being all emo and weird, giving all these signs that Katy should stay away from them, there is also a scene were Katy is close to finding out they are aliens that is practically exactly the car scene of Twilight, were Edward saves Bella.


But what sets this book apart, and makes it better, is Katy's voice, the book is narrated in first person from her POV and it was refreshing to have a voice so full of sarcasm and funny remarks in a paranormal romance story. Katy is also a book blogger which definitely makes me relate to her even more, it was nice reading about her new books, planning on blogging things and writing/filming posts, it also creates a life for her outside of this whole paranormal stuff which is somewhat disregarded in most of these stories.

Expect from Katy, the other characters weren't really that developed and I never cared much about them. Her mother is almost always absent because of her job as a nurse, which conveniently gives Katy a lot of time without any parent supervision; Dee is a ball of energy, always happy and if I had to describe her personality in one word it would be jump-y, but she and Katy pretty much instafriendshiped (I don't think this is a thing, but I'm making it a thing), I know that she doesn't get to hang out with much people because of her secrets and overprotective brother but still, I didn't really get a sense of their friendship as something genuine.

Daemon is a bit better developed I think, he starts of as the hot neighbor, that doesn't ever much shirts and that seems to hate Katy right from his first sight of her, but as we get to know him we see that behind his faced there is a overprotective alien that just really cares about his family. The romance between him and Katy is hot, not in the meaning that there is steaming scenes but that they are always in each others throats, having fights of snarky comebacks, and their chemistry is over the roof, they both are still in a denial phase at this point of the series but we know where this is going. 

What makes this book only average really is its plot, it's pretty weak and only becomes more clear towards the end of it since a good part is devoted to discovering the aliens, what they are, why they are where, all that stuff but still it doesn't give enough story for this book, it was around 300+ pages and I was pretty bored around the middle, without a sense of where the hell this was going. There was some parts of this alien power and stuff that I didn't understood too, because the descriptions of the scenes were confusing (like that ending), so the fun of the narrative didn't save the book from it.

This isn't the a very long review because I read this book almost a year ago, so it's actually quite remarkable how much I do remember about it. I don't regret reading and am continuing with the series, mostly because I like paranormal stories and since Twilight I'm in a search to find good ones, this one has a voice that is sassy, a romance full of chemistry but the plot weighted it down. Recommended to other reads like me, that still enjoy paranormal romance and don't mind a few cliches in exchange to a fun read. 

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário