quinta-feira, 19 de novembro de 2015

Winter - Marissa Meyer

Winter by Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #4 
Published on November 10, 2015 by Feiwel & Friends


Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?
We are here friends, at the end of the road, we finished this series and now we probably just want more or it is just me? Of course not, no one wanted this to end. I don't really know how to make reviews of last books on a series, I found it hard to make reviews of seconds books already I mean, it's hard to talk about a series because spoilers everywhere and you want to talk about those spoilers but also review isn't the place to it and AGH. But anyway, I'll try to do my best and talk about this book on a more general way, but I make no promises that this will be coherent (who I'm kidding, my reviews are never coherent lol).

First and mostly, I feel like I should praise Meyer for the growth on her writing. I remember that when I read Cinder I thought the writing was more on the young-ish side of YA, it wasn't bad or anything but also it was very simplistic, and the plot twists too were so easy to see a mile away which took some of the story but oh my, this really didn't happened this time around. The writing is much improved, and Meyer overcome all my expectations with the plot on this book, this book is enormous and so many things happen on it, I never felt like it was predicable she really surpassed anything that I could have expect and upped it up turning this story so much more than already was.

Also, I was so so SO scared of the size of this book, I'm not a fan of big books and by big I mean that I become wary of anything over 400 pages, if is part of a series I usually will read it despite it's size but I was fully expecting to take me a month to read this one, instead I read it in about 6 days which for me is equal super speed. The big reason for this is the fact that there was ALWAYS SOMETHING HAPPENING on this book, I'm not kidding, so much happens and I feel so satisfied with it, because I was afraid that things would be solved to quickly or easily since the whole revolution had to happen on this book but no, on the contrary.

These characters had to face so many challenges (as if they didn't already but yeah), now shit is real, Levana is crazy as fuck, like even more than usual, seriously this gurl took crazy to a whole new level and I loved it, I think I never said on my other reviews but she grew to be one of my favorite villains, probably because it's so interesting to read about her. Her mind is so fucked up and twisted on believing this reality she created to herself to deal with her childhood traumas, I think it's a very unique way of picture a villain, they usually have strong beliefs and ideologies but Levana is straight out crazy because of her past, and her only belief is on the lies she created, such a interesting character.

Anyway, I wasn't going to talk about her, I was going to talk about how much I loved the plot of this book. As of this being a fairy tale retelling I didn't know what to expect when they were facing challenges to bring on the revolution, maybe my fear was that it would become too much of a Once Upon A Time kind of thing where the good always wins the bad just because but no. All of our loved cast, plus Winter and Jacin, have challenges to face on this one and absolutely nothing goes smoothly, seriously I would be like HELL YES LET'S GO REVOLUTION TIME BOO LEVANA and them BOOM shit happened, them resolutions for that shit comes and I would go all like YEAH NOW WE GO FULL ON REVOLUTION MODE and them BOOM more shit even worse comes flying and hits me on the face. Seriously there was one chapter at the end that was just plain bad to my heart, for those who already read this is the last scene on the throne room, SUCH AGONY, SUCH A HIGH.

Also, the personal characters stories I was fully satisfied with the ending of everyone, like I said before nothing comes easy and also doesn't end perfectly as in a fairy tale but this was a war so things were to be expected. The couples have time together but nothing over shines the plot, but it's enough to give everyone that ships different things to have their ship feels and feel happy with their otp, mine had such a great kissing scene and finally a declaration and I was giggling the whole time I'm totally normal, I swear.Let's talk a little about our new character, Winter, she is suffering from Lunar sickness which means she is loosing her mind, it was very unique read things through her POV but I really enjoyed how Meyer didn't infantilized her and showed how clever her mind still was despite her sickness. One thing that I do complain is that I needed more Cress POV, actually I need more from like everyone on this series, I didn't wanted it to end when I finally got to the ending and I hope the collection, Stars Above, has short stories from these characters on the future because I need to know about their future, pretty please.

Overall this series ended on a more than satisfying note, I will definitely revisit these characters and their stories on the future, it's kind of funny to see how disappointed I was on the first book and how much I ended up liking this series in the end. Super recommend this series to everyone looking for a YA science fiction series and/or a dystopia that doesn't fit the mold expect after The Hunger Games, if you already read the first book but was let down by it I would say give it a chance to the other books on this series, I think they may win you over.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário