quinta-feira, 24 de setembro de 2015

Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secretby Sophie Kinsella 
Published on March 23, 2004 by Dell 



Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets.

Secrets from her mother:
1. I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur.

...From her boyfriend:
2. I'm a size twelve. Not a size eight, like Connor thinks.
3. I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken.

...From her colleagues:
4. When Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much every day)
5. It was me who jammed the copier that time. In fact, all the times.

...Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world:
6. My G string is hurting me.
7. I faked my Maths GCSE grade on my CV.
8. I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is...

...until she spills them all to a stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger...

 So I guess I've been in a re-reading mood late since this one is my third re-read of the month, unfortunately this one wasn't all the good I thought it would be. I remembered reading this book on the beach at 2013, it was cold and raining so I devoured it on one night, in my mind I still had this idea of this being my favorite Sophie Kinsella and one of my favorite chick-lits overall but this re-read kind of dismissive my love for it.

There isn't anything wrong with it really, it was still a funny read and a quickly one but a lot of little things kept me annoying during the read. Like Emma for example, she has a problem with lying but I never really understood why she lied most of the time, 100% of the times she would create this super dramatic situation on her head when in reality really wasn't even close and everything could get resolved so much easily if she just said the truth, so this resulted in a lot of frustration from my part and I would just want to scream and shake her.

Other thing that didn't lived up to my memory was the romance, I remembered it being super sweet and cute and oh my god, I love Jack! But this time around everything seemed really... Rushed, kind of. It wasn't instalove exactly but they do have this "connection" since their first meet because of Emma blabbing all her secrets and this made them already like instafriends and them something more, it wasn't bad just not really swoon worthy. Also, that *thing* that happens on the final half.

Some other things annoyed me, like Jemima's character was such a lifeless character, her one goal on life is to get a rich husband and this is brought up on the story every time she is on the scene, it was funny at first but it got annoying really fast since it was her sole purpose on the story. Actually most, if not all, of the secondary characters have this defining quality to them that is basically they only trait.

Overall this was a regular Kinsella read, it was funny and cute enough but never really got more than that. I would recommend it to lovers of her other books that have yet to read this, but wouldn't really recommend to new chick-lit readers.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário