sexta-feira, 15 de maio de 2015

The Fill-In Boyfriend - Kasie West

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
Published on May 5, 2015 by HarperTeen


When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she decides to do the unthinkable…convince the cute guy waiting to pick up his sister to pretend to be her boyfriend for the night. The task is simple: two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies.

The problem is that days after prom, she can't stop thinking about her fill-in boyfriend. But can Gia turn her fake boyfriend into a real one without exposing her lie and possibly destroying her friendships and her newfound relationship?

Smartly observed and wonderfully romantic, Kasie West's talent shines in this tale of one girl's unexpected quest to find love…and possibly herself.
This is my second Kasie West book and I'm each time more sure that there is no wrong when choosing a book by this author, as with "On the Fence" (one of my favorite contemporary reads, for like ever) this one brought me much joy and happy moments, a funny banter but it also made me ugly sob at points and my heart hurt in ways that I didn't think it was possible.

Gia is not a girl that opens up about problems, to anybody, not even her closest friends, all of that comes from her family ways of always showing a model of perfection and having to be put together 100% of the time but the funny thing is that she didn't realized this had an impact on her until Fill-In Bradley shows up on her life and messes everything - with a crush she can't have because it would be way to complicated, a sister that probably hates Gia and a family that seems to be the completely opposed of hers.

Because of that the romance has a very big role and I definitely can't complain about this. Having to act as fake boyfriend-girlfriend, Gia and Fill-In Bradley, started their relationship the other way around first with physical contact and them getting to know each other - and it was so much FUN! Every single touch they had made me so static and I would giggle like a mad person over it, like a total normal person of course. And their talks were so great too, they had such a great banter together and I found myself laughing out loud so many times with their interactions. 

One other big part of the reason why Gia changed was her interactions with Bec, Fill-In Bradley sister, Bec probably hates Gia when they first interact (and with good reason) and because of that Gia starts to really think about the way she has been acting and how her friends are. It was really great to see Gia's character arc, is pretty easy to get caught up on a group of friends when you know them since forever and don't question it but it's natural that you will grow out of some of it at some point. 

I would have liked to have a few things better handled on the ending. Like how did Gia's relationship with her old friends stayed? I mean where they ever really friends? Because it didn't seemed so, also I would have liked to get to know more about Jules, she seemed like such a amazing and messed up character. Gia's family too, I think that her relationship with Drew was handled on a good way on the ending but I would have liked a more honest talk between Gia and her parents to see how things were going to go from now on with them.

Overall I loved this book fiercely, Gia was an amazing character and it was a pleasure to see her grow so much - I would recommend this book to everyone that likes flawed main characters working their way through a better self and, of course, fans of the fake dating trope.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário