terça-feira, 28 de abril de 2015

The Girl at Midnight - Melissa Grey

The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
Series: The Girl at Midnight #1
Published on April 28, 2015 by Delacorte Press
[This book was given to me by the Publisher but this in no way affected my opinion.]


For readers of Cassandra Clare's City of Bones and Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone, The Girl at Midnight is the story of a modern girl caught in an ancient war.

Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she's ever known.

Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she's fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it's time to act.

Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the Firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, but if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it's how to hunt down what she wants . . . and how to take it.

But some jobs aren't as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.
I started this book with very few expectations, I already lost the count of books comparing themselves to "City of Bones" (for those who don't know TMI is one of my favorite series) and end up being disappointed but on this case I was gladly surprised that "The Girl at Midnight" did lived up to it's praise and also created a new space for itself. Let's talk about the comparisons, I did not read "Shadow and Bone" so can't testify for this book but I found some elements of this book really similar with "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" (which isn't on the summary but still), first Echo starts being adopted by one of the Avicen (people with feathers for hair) and runs errands for them and create portals to go from our world to the Avicen world, this reminded me a lot of Karou and them *something* at the end happened that bothered me by how close it was with DoSaB - like, I already knew what was gonna happen because I had read the other book and this is a little too close for my taste, also some of the amazingness of the ending was lost with that ending.

But on the other side I loved the similar parts of "The Girl at Midnight" with "City of Bones", for me, the thing that makes these two close are their characters a lot of them and their personalities reminded me of characters from the other series and I absolutely loved the characters on this one, and loved even more their interactions. Echo is trying to save the world she loves while not knowing what she needs to do, but still fighting with all her strength, Caius is also trying to save his world and these two end up doing a unthinkably alliance to survive and they do end up on a romance. At first I didn't enjoyed because Echo has already a boyfriend but seems pretty quickly to forget him once she starts to knowing Caius, so I was kind of happy (because yes for less melodrama) but also weirded out that she never thought about her boyfriend (or ex I guess?) but they won me over along the book mostly because there wasn't instalove, also the ending left a open page for their relationship on the next book that could led to a lot of drama and I just don't want that to happen.

So for me the best and most memorable characters were the secondary ones, specially the participants of the gay couple (is that a spoiler if I say their names? Idk) and had such funny scenes and a great banter together, also the final scene of them was just *swoon* is fair to say that I was head over heels for them (also please more scenes with them on the rest of the series). But not only their interactions were fun to read, all the group scenes were funny and a lot of those made me laugh out loud - and this was what made this book a win for me, I completely lost myself reading it and would always come back because I wanted more and more of this characters.

I super recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and fans of The Mortal Instruments series.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário