terça-feira, 7 de abril de 2015

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Published by Balzer + Bray on April 7, 2015
Pages: 320
Genres: Contemporary, Coming of Age, GLBTQ
Format: eARC
Source: Edelweiss

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.


I have been trying to keep up with my reviews and write one as soon as possible after finishing the book, but then I read this book and sat in front of my computer and tried and failed to put my thoughts together. So if this review end up not being as helpful as it should and I end up not talking about the things I need to talk on reviews or if this end up more like a conversational thing more than a review, I'm sorry but it just this book is hard to make justice on a review.


First of all you should know that I don't like issue books, I usually rum from them, the most that I read is books about depression/suicide but books about segregation? Slavery? Bulimia and other eating disorders? Grief? Yeah, I will pass. With GLBTQ fiction it's the same, I will avoid books that focus on the issues and prejudices that exist on our society, but this book isn't about the issues, on the contrary is a very regular contemporary romance, with a cute romance, some family and friends issues and just general high school life - of course most of the problems on the school, with friends and family IS about Simon being a gay guy that didn't came out yet but is thinking about it and the process and difficulties and all that jazz but nothing is over dramatic, nothing gives the feeling of a issue book, it was all very light and even fluffy but that isn't a dismiss of the importance of this book, because it does tell a LOT of trues.

Second is that this book read like home to me, you have to know that I came from a very open high school, it was also a very small high school which I think contributed to not having any cases of bullying and stuff like that by senior year we had like 30 people on senior class so it was like just a big group of friends and every gay guy and lesbian girl and bisexual people on my class were open about it, and we would go to gay clubs. So when I read this book were, despite Simon not being out of the closet by the start of the book, it just the drama club and it was just sounded like these people could be my friends and this story could be about one of my best friends.

Okay, so now about the story, I need to try to tell you guys about the story. The most important part (I'm kidding)(but just maybe) is the romance, GUYS IT WAS SO CUTE AND GAWD!!! Simon and "Blue" start exchanging e-mails but one doesn't know the identity of the other, but they know they are on the same year and go to the same high school, their e-mail exchanges WERE SO FREAKING CUTE, like seriously they talk about how cute the other is and they have deep thoughtful conversations about being gay and how to come out and there is even some sexy times (YESSSSS!!!). I just, it wasn't even halfway through the book and I was already in love with Blue myself and in love with Blue & Simon and just it was fluffy and adorable and I need more romances like this in my life.

Me when Simon and Blue finally meet and evey scene with them basically

Other very important part of the story is Simon's family, they are just so... Crazy really, his father think he is a hipster, his mom is a psychologist that wants to know every single thing that changes on her three kids, and the two sisters Nora who is very closed on herself and Alice who is away for college. I loved how there was a lot of participation of the family on the story, there was times where they would watch things and discussed watched things and times were the parents would want to have *serious* talks and it was just so normal and yeah, every family is a little bit all over the place and crazy and it was perfect their presence in the story and see how important they are for Simon. His friends, Abby, Leah and Nick too are very important to Simon and to his coming out, I specially loved a scene by the end with Simon and Leah, it was just so touching and I could relate so much to Leah, letting someone new enter a group can be tricky and it's easy to feel left out.

Okay, I guess I had some things to talk about this books, and the last thing you have to know about this is that Simon rocks, he is sort of nerd-y and a music geek and a drama geek and obsessed with oreos and really adorable and relatable and you probably you will want to be friends with him. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is a *very important* book that needs to be read by like everyone because it tells really important things about coming out and being part of a minoria and it also has amazing characters and adorable romance. Basically is the perfect fluffy for me.

The feels of this book

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário